Welcome to the latest issue of R3LATIONSHIPS MONTHLY - our ongoing email update of trends and insights into the marketing industry
2017: The Year of Trump And Transparency
2016 has been a tumultuous year - unknown firms dominate China’s M&A scene, WPP’s agencies lead, and Dentsu keeps shopping. The industry is feeling a little shell-shocked, and taking stock of what 2017 has in store. R3 has compiled the industry's biggest trends and must-see stories into one comprehensive list below:
1. Fifty Ways to Read Your Rebate - In July, the Association of National Advertisers (ANA) in the US revealed the findings from its transparency report that set off the great rebate debate globally.
2. Omnicom: Great globally; so-so in Asia - Omnicom topped its P&G win of 2015 by taking Volkswagen globally and AT&T in the US.
3. An acquisitive year for Dentsu - At the time this article was written, Dentsu had made 31 acquisitions globally.
4. Ogilvy, Mindshare lead the way in Asia - In our new business league, Ogilvy (over 500 wins in the region) and Mindshare (close to 200) lead both their respective tables.
5. Unknowns dominate M&A in China again - We defy you to know any of the top 10 companies leading M&A in China in 2016.
6. Rise of the Consultants - Yes, they are coming for your clients’ advertising and digital dollars—and they are bringing their checkbooks.
7. Trump and Asia - The ‘November surprise’ will surely have some impact on external investment into Asia.
BBDO and PHD Stay On Top In 2016's Penultimate NBL
With one more round of tracking to go before we can confidently say which agencies won (and lost) the most new business in 2016, BBDO and PHD remain in the top spots of the creative and media Global New Business League tables, respectively. BBDO's recent wins include a portion of the US ExxonMobil business, as well as Nuelasta US and Merisant Global. PHD recently picked up the Rabobank Netherlands account, but perhaps more impressive on the media table is that Hearts & Science continues to remain in 2nd place after winning only two accounts in 2016.
CMO.com recently identified the top 10 trends that every marketer needs to look out for in 2017, ranging from trust issues, to speculation that we might have already reached "peak mobile." One of the biggest trends that they identified has to do with the legal side of marketing. The industry has been steeped with transparency scandals worldwide, and the one piece of advice that resonates the most is; get it in writing. Our Principal noted "that more than half of marketers don’t have a master service agreement that would give them 100% access to the rebates they might otherwise be entitled to."
That is going to change in 2017. For more, click here.
R3 is a global marketing consultancy focused on improving the effectiveness and efficiency of marketers and their agencies. Founded in 2002, we work with eight of the world's top twenty global marketers.